March 29, 2023
Our Best Ramp Recipes
Ramps are an Appalachian culinary delicacy that we love to eat in the spring. What is a ramp? Ramps are wild onions that are plentiful in our part of West Virginia. Our chefs at ACE Adventure Resort are pros at preparing this springtime treat. Ramp it Up Festival on May 6th is your chance to experience our incredible ramp buffet at The Lost Paddle. Checkout a few of our ramp recipes meant to tease your taste buds.
Ramp Smoked Meatloaf
• ½ medium yellow onion diced
• ½ medium red bell pepper diced
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 2 lbs ramps (stems diced and and leaves chopped)
• 2 lbs ground chuck
• 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
• 1 large egg beaten
• 1 tsp dried Mediterranean oregano
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 cup plain bread crumbs
1. Preheat smoker to 225 degrees
2. Mix all ingredients except for bread crumbs with a wooden spoon until just combined
3. Add breadcrumbs and gently mix with your fingertips
4. Shape into a loaf and place in the smoker. Smoke for about 3 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees
Potato & Ramp & Pizza
• 1 lb ball of your favorite pizza dough (sorry, we can’t give you our secret recipe)
• 8 ounces of your favorite pizza cheese (we like a provolone, mozzarella, romano and parmesan blend)
Ramp and Potato Topping
• 5 medium russet potatoes cut into ⅛ inch rounds
• ½ yellow onion diced
• 2 tbsp butter
• ½-1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 1 lb ramps (stems diced and leaves rough chopped)
1. Wash peel and slice potatoes
2. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter. When melted add the potatoes and evenly sprinkle the onions and ramp stems over the top. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Remove the lid and add the salt and pepper. Flip the potatoes and and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes, flipping twice more or until golden brown. Stir in ramp leaves and set aside to cool.
Garlic Cream Sauce
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 cloves (approx 2 tsp) garlic, minced
• ½ cup minced ramp bulbs
• 2 tbsp all purpose flour
• ¼ tsp italian seasoning
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp pepper
• 1 and ½ cups half and half
• 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, place the olive oil, garlic and minced ramps. Cook 1-2 minutes, wicking continuously so the garlic doesn’t brown. Add the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk quickly until it is a thick paste. Let cook and bubble for another 1-2 minutes.
2. Stir in half and half one ½ cup at a time whisking constantly. Add the parmesan and stir, then turn the heat to low and let sone let simmer for 5-10 minutes to thicken. (sauce can be stowed in an airtight container up to 5-7 days)
Assemble the pizza:
1. While the sauce is cooling, stretch pizza dough to desired size and thickness. Spoon a generous amount of garlic cream sauce on the dough. Top with cheese and potato mixture and MORE chopped ramp leaves.
*We bake our pizzas in our woodfired pizza ovens but any method will do.
Cheesy Potato and Ramp Casserole
• 2 lbs frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
• ½ cup sour cream
• ½ cup diced onion
• ½ cup diced red pepper
• 1 lb diced ramps
• 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well incorporated. Spread into a lightly greased 9X13 casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Ramp Ice Cream
• 2 ¼ cups milk
• 1 cup heavy cream
• ¾ cup white sugar
• 2 tsp good vanilla extract
• rough chopped ramps (one pound per quart usually does the trick!)
1. Stir milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Heat just until the mixture is hot and a small ring of foam appears around the edge.
2. Transfer the cream mixture to a pourable container such as a large measuring cup. Stir in vanilla extract and chill mix thoroughly, at least 2 hours (over night is best)
3. Pour cold ice cream mix into an ice cream mixer, add chopped ramps, and churn according to manufacturer directions
4. When ice cream is softly frozen, serve immediately or place a piece of plastic wrap directly in the ice cream and place in freezer
Ramp It Up Festival
If these recipes have you looking forward to spring time in Appalachia, be sure to get your tickets for The Ramp It Up Festival, Saturday May 6th. Look for more crowd favorites like House Smoked Ramp Sausage and Ramp O’Roni Rolls at our all you can eat buffet. Enjoy live music with Andrew Adkins and Into the Fog at The Lost Paddle outdoor stage. We can’t wait to see you at ACE Adventure Resort’s annual Ramp It Up Festival!
Chris Colin is a raft guide, whitewater kayaker, active caver, and as Special Events Coordinator at ACE he manages, promotes, and executes special events like the Mountain Music Festival.