15 Amazing Facts About The New River Gorge Bridge
Neat New River Gorge Bridge Facts!
The New River Gorge Bridge is pretty epic! Stick around and learn some New River Gorge Bridge facts you probably didn’t know!
- Did you know the New River Gorge Bridge is located in the newest national park? The New River Gorge National Park is home to some pretty amazing things, one of them being this mammoth of a bridge!
- The New River Gorge Bridge construction on October 22nd, 1977! It took over three years to complete this epic bridge!
- The New River Gorge Bridge holds the title for the third longest single arch bridge in the world. This 3,030 long bridge seriously is one of a kind!
- The New River Gorge Bridge arches over one of the most ancient rivers in the world. The New River is the second oldest river on earth!
- The New River Gorge Bridge weighs a whopping 88 million pounds! This unbelievable bridge is made with structural steel, reinforcing steel, superstructure concrete, and substructure concrete.
- You can find the New River Gorge Bridge on the state quarter! In 2005, The New River Gorge Bridge made its debut on the state quarter.
- The New River Gorge Bridge cut travel time by 40 minutes! The New River Gorge Bridge significantly improved the lives of locals and tourists alike!
- The New River Gorge Bridge is made COR-TEN steel! The unique quality about this steel is that it does not require the bridge to be painted! This has saved millions of dollars over the years.
- The New River Gorge Bridge has its very own holiday! Bridge Day began in 1980 and is now one of West Virginia’s most popular traditions!
- Bridge Day is a day of festivities! You can find food trucks, vendors, local jewelry, and so much more on the New River Gorge Bridge!
- You can base jump off of the New River Gorge Bridge on Bridge Day! While there are quite a few requirements, base jumpers are permitted to take advantage of this epic bridge one day a year!
- Bridge Day is the only day tourists and locals can walk on the actual bridge! One day out of the year, the New River Gorge Bridge is open for the public to explore on foot. Don’t miss out this year!
- You can actually walk under the bridge! Book a bridge walk tour with ACE Adventure Resort and admire panoramic views of the New River Gorge while being suspended 800 feet above the river.
- The Bridge walk tour is the perfect family activity! This tour requires no prior experience and is great for ages eight and up!
- You can raft directly under the bridge! Book a trip with ACE Adventure Resort and get the perfect view of the bridge while taking on some epic rapids!
Larkin grew up here at ACE Adventure Resort and on the New River. Her dad, Jerry, is one of the owners of ACE, so adventure is in her blood. When Larkin isn’t studying at Concord University, she is working in the marketing department as a social media specialist. Larkin enjoys hiking, whitewater rafting, and being outdoors. If you can’t find Larkin at ACE or on the River, she’s at home with her cats Misa and Oscar.