August 25, 2019
New River Gorge Bridge Day
The most exciting event of the season is just around the corner here at ACE Adventure Resort: Bridge Day. Whether you plan to leap off the 876-foot-tall New River Gorge Bridge or simply watch daredevils soar through the crisp autumn air, we recommend starting and finishing the day at our adventure-based wilderness resort. Not only do we provide inexpensive, action-packed Bridge Day specials, but we’re also just a short jaunt from the festivities.
Bridge Day, WV
So, when is Bridge Day? Well, typically this annual event lands on the third Saturday of October. This three-day stretch is perhaps the most popular weekend of the year here at ACE Adventure Resort as the New River Bridge Day coincides with the Fall Gauley and Nightmare in the Gorge. Most guests book a weekend stay in one of our deluxe cabins, cottages, or bunkhouses so that they can also join a white water rafting, rock climbing, or zipline expedition. The first Bridge Day was held in November of 1980, just three short years after the world’s second-longest single-arch bridge “opened.” Back then, it was only two parachuters leaping from a plane. This year, we’re expecting nearly 400 jumpers from approximately 35 states.
10 Fun Facts about Bridge Day
- Around 100,000 spectators are expected this October.
- You can join the ACTIVE Southern West Virginia 5K.
- Shuttles to the bridge start at just $3 per person.
- If you cannot make it to this year’s event, watch the live stream.
- Bridge Day isn’t just for base jumpers. Thrillseekers can also rappel down to the river’s edge.
- Savor some of the area’s yummiest cuisines at Friday’s Taste of Bridge Day event. We won “best entree” last year!
- The New River Gorge Bridge is also known as the “Rusty Rainbow” because of its copper color.
- The bridge cost $37 million and took four years to build.
- Our New River rafting excursions finish approximately 50 feet from the bridge.
- ACE Adventure Resort provides lodging and whitewater packages that start at just $99 per person.
For those who are curious about our three Bridge Day rafting specials, we highly recommend that you click on the three links below. Packages range from $99 to $259, all of which include at least one world-class white water rafting trip with meals. We’re expecting a full house again this year, so remember to book sooner rather than later! Visit ACERaft.com, or call us at 800-787-3982 to book.
- Lower New River Package
- Fall Gauley Package
- Twin Rivers Package